On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Monday, November 22, 2010

Bibliomancy -- Research Book

I'm not sure if every writer does this, but occasionally, if I want to get a different idea outside of my own head, I open a research book at a random page. This really paid off for me yesterday when I hit page 660 of the above book: England's Thousand Best Houses (Barrington Court).

There was a tiny bit about Gertrude Jekyll that was fascinating. Apparently soil samples were sent to her from Barrington and though she was nearly blind, she could tell by the FEEL of the soil what might grow in it. NO BIBLIOGRAPHY FOR THIS STORY, but it's a good story, and I could sure do something with it in the Mystic Circle series or the Heart books.

May you get whatever creative spark you need today.
Robin

3 Comments:

Blogger Tannun said...

Was playing around on your web page, and you need to do a bit of updating! ;)

You haven't updated awards since 2005 on your bio page.

You need to update the Family Tree Link info on your world page.

Links are broken or not up to date on your links page.

You've added no excerpts or extra's to books since Heart Fate, and only an excerpt to that.

Need a reason to visit those pages, to be excited as we wait for the next book to come out.

I see no faq.

Might want to look at some authors like Kelly Armstrong. They embrace and integrate the covers of their books on their sites. Your front page needs a complete rework, even if it's a simple as using the best book covers.

Might want to figure out how to do a mailing list, for those that aren't anal about visiting your site daily ;)

I'm sure some of your fans, would be willing to help!

Enchanted No More comes out soon, it would be nice to freshen up the site.

1:17 AM  
Blogger Tannun said...

I just mention this, because for people coming to the site for the first time, there is no mention of a new book coming out. And since there is no link to the blog, it's easy to assume you're not writing anymore.

Why isn't there a link to the blog? And a link to the web page from the Blog?

And you have 2 home pages. One at robindowens.com and one at robindowens.com/home.htm. The second is more up to date, but you only find out about it by accident.

Do you outsource your web work?

I just found a contest on there for a rough draft of Enchanted, is this still valid?

Ok, I'll stop complaining :)

1:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to the other home page mentioned above and I have to say I love the special effects. I could play with that for hours.

6:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]