On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday, November 08, 2009

Joy of Writing! Why Do You Write? Process vs. Results

I've had this discussion many times over the years and it's something I need to remind myself when I have deadlines. I love to write (ok, I especially love to write when it's just complete fun). Yesterday, at the awesome signing at Beth Anne's Book Corner, I was talking to a woman who wrote to please herself.

Since I've joined RMFW and my critique group(s), the point of the work is WORK, to do something publishable and publish it. Sometimes the joy that started you writing is lost. I heard from one of my critique buddies that she seems to have given up writing...and I think it's because she SHOULD be published by now, and has that as a goal, we've set ourselves. So maybe next group we will look at that.

I wrote a little something a couple of months back for pure joy (ok, maybe I'll sell it sometime), but I needed to remind myself that the book I'm writing on now I wrote for pure joy, too, even though I've sold it.

It can be freeing, to think of writing for fun instead of for results...though this is NaNoWriMo month and wordcount matters... ;)

May you experience joy in your creativity today.
Robin

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It should be all about the joy of telling the story, the one that insists on being told, the one that wakes you up in the middle of the night so that you can write it down.
As I work on this year's NaNo I am rediscovering that joy. I may not be published (yet) but I will continue to write because my heart says I must.

Of course, my NaNo word count would be much higher is someone's book hadn't hit the shelf last Tuesday. LOL
I finished "Heart Change" and also got 6000 words in two days. Now that's my idea of JOY!
Thank you, Robin!

Laurel N

4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh My GOD...I'm LOVING IT!!! I am so backlogged reading your blog because I can't get my head out of the world you so painstakenly created. Thank you!

10:06 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

THANK YOU!
Robin

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]