On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Ideas

Ideas are a penny a gross. I had a friend in the business but a new writer say last time we met "Don't tell anyone this idea I had." She made a face because she knows that's a standard worry of amateur writers, but she meant it, too.

It was a lovely idea, and I don't know how long it would take her to write it, but I could write it faster. If I wanted it. I don't. As I've said before, one basic idea (or pic) could be given to a roomful of writers and everyone would write a different story. The theme of this particular story that my friend has is not one that I agree with, so I won't do it. I would never use this idea of hers in a million years because I'm not interested in writing that particular plot, either. OTOH, if she gets it done, it's sufficiently interesting that I'd read it -- after she's put in all the research.

I have a lot of ideas of my own...some proposals that weren't picked up and I may never get back to or will be changed for something new. Ideas that are my own that I can get excited about.

And, really, most story ideas have been done and we're just looking at permutations.

The one really, truly wonderful idea that I think changed the genre (paranormal romance) and was unique and brilliant was that of Christine Feehan's Carpathians. Fabulous idea regarding vampires, dead vs. undead, and Lifemates, (which I read after I already had HeartMate out). That was truly genius -- having the Carpathians lose the ability to see colors (lose the acuity of their senses) or experience emotions as they pass through the ages, then when they meet their lifemate everything comes rushing back. Awesome idea that only Christine could have written.

So, as for ideas...I've been reading a lot of different contests' entries and there are some that are interesting, but...they aren't mine, I might enjoy reading them, but never writing them.

Again, those people who think a published author (or other writer) would steal their idea mark themselves as amateurs. We have our own ideas that we love.

May you enjoy your imagination today,
Robin

2 Comments:

Blogger Suzane in VT said...

A friend (she's published and I'm not - yet) and myself are each other's Beta readers and sounding boards. What's nice is her genre is not mine and visa versa. It makes for a good working relationship, especially when one of us has hit a stonewall and has no idea how to scale it. Neither one of us would ever want to steal each other's ideas. In fact, we seem to come up with ideas and embellishments for each other, which is nice. And believe it or not we have been known to lend each other our muses when in need of inspiration regarding something specific. Call us odd, but it works. ;)

7:53 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

That's wonderful, Suzane!
Robin

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]