On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Author vs. Story

I'm reading an older book by an author I like (new to me). I've usually liked her work. But I've met her and I don't particularly care for her as a person.

Most of the time if the author has personally impressed me unfavorably, I give up her work...and I think that sometimes readers do this, too, which makes me cringe when I recall my less than brilliant words or mood or complete gauchness. I hope I haven't truly alienated anyone.

Just sort of a musing. Let me know what you think.
Robin

2 Comments:

Blogger Tannun said...

I think authors and artists often get a "pass" on manners and attitude. I'm not sure if it's because of the media: movies that depict authors as either a snobbish or absentminded character, or something else, but it seems we the audience expect these eccentricities.

Hemingway comes to mind. No one would argue his talent, but he certainly had problems. And yet, his alcoholism and depression became part of the man, and his exploits are dramatized and memorialized.

I think most non authors and artists yearn for that creative spark. And when they recognize it, they are able to forgive much.

It's easy to create a hero, and once we create them, we are often blind to their faults. We created them after all, if we acknowledge their faults, we have to admit to ourselves that we made a mistake. And we know how often we like to admit we are wrong.

If Sports Heros can get away with gambling, cheating, lieing and murder. I'll forgive you a bad mood.

11:51 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks, Tannun.

Robin

9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]