On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Two Heroines

I pretty much have two heroines in Echoes in the Dark, and I hadn't anticipated giving Raine so many scenes...but... I've tried to include Jikata in chapters that are focusing on Raine, but ended up writing a full chapter with Raine today (or putting it together). I think that Jikata may be getting some all by herself, too.

They are not together in the same place, nor do they know one another, so I can't do scenes with them both as yet. Hopefully next week.

I wrote more on the end. Since I haven't looked at the end lately, I don't know whether this will work or not. I DO know that currently the end is somewhat messy as I did a little POV in all my previous heroines, and I've decided that isn't right. Mainly because I've kept the POV to 4 -- Raine and Faucon and Jikata and Luthan and I want to be consistent. I can have Jikata observe the others at the end...and to go on would be spoilers.

Well, I'm very tired. Went over to the housesit place and the freezer part of the fridge finally opened so I took out a lot of ice and put it in the sink and cleaned up, etc. They should be back tomorrow, didn't make the time they'd thought so it won't be tonight.

Also got am and pm wordcount done and worked more on the June website update. It's a little after 11 but I don't need to stay up anymore so this will post on Weds.

May you have a good day.
smooches, robin

4 Comments:

Blogger Suzane in VT said...

Sounds like it would have been much better if you could have done the series as 6 or 7 books instead of 5. Silly publishers.

Suzane in VT (carpetsudsie)

9:45 AM  
Blogger Tannun said...

How do you decide what your word count for the day is?

And I wondered, you mentioned a fantasy trilogy you were considering, how much work do you put into a book before you start writing? Do you have a cast of chars, a world, an outline? Or do you sit down with an idea and just start typing and whatever happens works?

2:38 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

I like to have a standard wordcount for the day of 1250 or 5 pages (usually more when I change the format from Times New Roman to Courier New).

At this point, I have 2500 words, and/or 3 sessions at the computer of about 3 hours each since I'm putting some chapters together. That's because deadline is hovering like a sword of Damocles over my head, ready to skewer me.

If I didn't have to sell on proposal, I'd just write. As it is I sell on 3 chapters and a synopsis, or pretty much something like that. With a new trilogy it will probably be 3 chapters of book 1, and a long synopsis of book 1 (5-10 pages), shorter synopsis of books 2 and 3, for the continuing character.

For the new connected duo it will be 3 chapters of book 1, 1 chapter of book 2 and long synopses for both of them.

I do have quite a few "helps" in a folder I call All Smith Tools. What I use the most is a chart that my friend Janet Lane (the plot queen) modified from Discovering Story Magic.

If I have a full ms. I use Pam McCutcheon's Writing The Fiction Synopsis for the synopsis, but that hasn't happened lately.

Robin

9:37 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Susan,

Thanks, I was very pleased with Raine, but wish she could have had her own story...though her experience would have been much different.

The real problem is that I had to scramble to figure out how to do the book under a very short deadline.

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]