On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Still Offline -- Homes

Ok, just got my daily wordcount done. The desktop is still in the shop and I'm using the laptop, which I don't care for as it's become my writing computer. I've also been making the rounds. Catsitting for a friend over the long weekend (Fri-thru yesterday), spending some time (and one night) at my Mom who has been gone for going on 2 weeks and Wilbur is lonely enough to see me as a good substitute, and dropping by the house of a friend of my Mom's.

I COULD set up as a petsitter/housesitter, I think, but after these rounds I figured it's not something I want to do. I've dragged my laptop around with me (still not used to the Asus) and only have managed to work at my Mom's.

Their homes are not me. Even if I ever inherit Mom's condo (which is the one that would go to me), I wouldn't stay there. I chose my home for it's charm, and I have an incredible amount of stuff (which I'm trying to de-aquisition), and even if I put my stuff in her condo, it wouldn't feel right.

I was caught on the highway in evening rush hour, so I got off and found myself near the neighborhood I grew up in and drove by that house. I haven't lived there since I left for college and due to a long, sad story, it is no longer in the family. It was a little eerie because the only time I visit that neighborhood is in my dreams...still. And one of the reasons I bought this place was because it wasn't a ranch-style home.

I DO believe there is a place that "calls" a person, a perfect home. But I haven't found mine. I love my house and my neighborhood, but if I found that place that resonated, I'd probably move.

And I'm using the above idea in my next Heart proposal, which I'd hoped to have done and emailed today. It isn't.

I need to set aside a weekend just to work on the thing, but the looming Luna book deadline puts me off.

Anyway, that's that, and now to look at email that I haven't checked out since Saturday...shudder.

May all your dreams -- waking and sleeping -- be satisfying.
Robin

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand what you mean by it would still be your mom's home. I lived with my grandmother until she died 1 1/2 years ago, and while my first impuse was "I'm not going to leave my home," I realized that I would need to change everything to make my house and not my grandmother's. So I bought my own house 10 months ago.

8:59 PM  
Blogger Tannun said...

I love the idea of a home calling to you. With the unique abilities of houses in the Heart novels, it would be nice to see more about this phenom. Maybe how houses became sentient to begin with can be explored!

10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The house my husband and I bought 10 yrs ago (our first and only one) called to us at first sight. As pagans, that was important. It was the last our agent showed us that day and until seeing this one we were beginning to despair after the others (rolls eyes) she had already offered. It fit just about all of our criteria and was already empty of its owner. Then, when it came time for us to do our yearly cat-sitting for my parent's cat, Fluffy non-chalantly sauntered out of his carrier and proceeded to stick his nose everywhere (as only a cat can do). This astounded us since in the previous TWO apartments we'd lived in he'd been known to bolt to a hiding place and then stay there for the next month (except for forays for food and his litterbox. Right then and there we knew this was our place.

And never say that authors don't influence our lives. We're looking for just the right container to put some ash in by the fireplace ('flue powder' from Harry Potter) AND thinking about establishing a househeart (thanks to you, Robin). Now, if we could just figure out how to keep the house ghosts happy and where the sounds of doors closing keep coming from in the library...

Suzane in VT

7:20 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Rebecca, congratulations! Tannun, I have the Turquoise House developing in Heart Fate, but I think that they just kept soaking up Flair from their people...maybe that's not too scientific but that's how it is off the top of my head...Carpetsudsie, congrats to you too, you're blessed.

Robin

11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]