On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Fritter -- Book Construction

I slept in a little late since I stayed up late, got my morning wordcount done at a reasonable time...then the day sorta fell apart. I ate and bathed and frittered away time until I HAD to get out some mailing, one contest entry and two books to folks who won them during that last Sunday chat. So off to the P.O. (in traffic and much waiting since they raised their rates today).

I'm doing the catsitting thing, so I try to coordinate times with when I'm going back and forth to the East side of town -- dinner with Mom and friend re: Housesitting (Fri), dinner with Mentor and to the performance (Sat)., last brunch with friends (Sun). And MONDAY, free sneak viewing of Prince Caspian.

I liked it, some sad deaths/sacrifices :(, lots of betrayal here and there and it's been a long time since I read the book so I can't comment on how true it was. The Aslan thing was a bit too much for me, probably because I know the Christian underpinnings. The theme of the film was having faith, and that's a pretty good theme, but there seemed to be an underlying subtext that if you DIDN'T have faith in a higher power you'd screw up, that people can't come up with good answers to their problems themselves, which I DON'T believe...guess I just figured out what bothered me about the movie.

Some excellent special effects, but there WAS a lot of fighting if you're thinking of taking younger children to it. Not a whole lot of blood and gore, in the battles, but quite a bit death, and not only of humans -- animals, mythic creatures (gryphons), trees...(death of trees count as body count for me).

So I didn't get the afternoon word count done and since I left a scene with a couple of holes in it, that bothered me. OTOH, it should pick up easily tomorrow when we're supposed to have more rain/snow/gray weather.

And speaking of battles, I've been thinking about Echoes in the Dark and the construction of it...as usual there will be a long set up. I'm going to do a very short middle (hopefully), then an end slightly shorter than the set up. Doesn't look like I'll be at 400 pages, or even 500, but I'm going to shoot for 550. I'm always very conscious of rushing an ending because I've been accused of that more than once.

May your pacing be right on today,
Robin

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

a reader
This is unrelated subject, here is a website I found that have Celtic names, in case you do not know it, looks interesting babynameguide.com
Just got the paperback of Heart Dance to re-read it and see if I can detect the changes.
Looking forward to Heart Fate and the news that there will be more Hearts in the future. Thanks

1:39 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks anon, always good to know of another babyname site.

Robin

12:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Robin,
Sorry that you're having such problems with your book, but i know that it will be absolutely excellent in the end. On the good side i've created two more addicts to your books by introducing my twin sister and my sister-in-law to both the Heart series and the Exotique series. Both are anxious to get ahold of Echos, but either they'll have to buy their own or wait until i'm done.

Good luck and good writing,

Valerie

6:15 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks Valerie, more addicts is good...

Robin

12:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]