On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Friday, May 09, 2008

Four Hour Chapter

I've been slogging through this inserting thread. Actually I've SEARCHED and FOUND the scenes, modified drastically, cut and spread out, gone back and changed other scenes to correspond with the new scene, over the last week. It's been a tortuous process, but I think it's best for the story. I still have to drop in bits here and there, but I wanted to make more progress today, which I did.

It's rare for a chapter to take four hours to write and rewrite. Most of my chapters are in pretty good shape when I write them, then they get polished up as I go back and forth. So spending four whole hours on ONE chapter is enough to make me crazy. OTOH, I have inserted a couple of humorous bits that I think will really please people...it made my mentor laugh out loud while she was struggling with a publishing dilemma.

So may you laugh today.
Robin

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A reader
Looked in at the Chat yesterday, maybe I am too old to appreciate it, but if that is the way chats go, seems to me chats are a waste of time, everyone was conducting a monologue and not asked a single interesting question! Too many people? I was looking forward to hear your answers to some inteligent questions.. but not such luck.
Loved the new addings to your website. Thanks

9:39 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Yes, I was quite disappointed with that chat, the one last Sunday was so much better. I haven't attended chats at writerspace lately so I don't know if that is typical. Anyway, the real problem is that the moderator kept getting bumped or something and couldn't do her job.

Sorry it wasn't more amusing or enlightening for you... Glad you like the website. I like the new "computer screen, too."

Take care,
Robin

12:35 AM  
Blogger Catie said...

Oh, I hate that, when it takes SO LONG to do revisions on a chapter! It's always better for it, but it's so much more satisfying to be able to do it in half an hour and think, "Hah!" :) *hugs* :)

9:40 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks, Catie, I usually polish as I go, but this one needed a little bit of this and that and just plain took forever.

Robin

7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]