On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, November 03, 2007

Days

I'll probably log on early am (12-5:00 tomorrow morning), but not sure when you'll hear from me after that. The retreat house is supposed to have WiFi, and I took my laptop in to reset from operator error (and Geek Squad did it, but it took about 20 minutes) and I haven't tested it since.

I haven't been writing. I've been doing some hard cleaning, yard and kitchen, and dealing with the skinny feral tom cat I brought in. I am pretty sure he is Not Quite Right, his skull has three ridges like it's mended badly, and I'm trying to figure out how we can live together. Right now my bedroom is off limits, but it won't be when I leave, because it's Mistral's (though she might defend it), then it will be off limits again when I come back. We'll have to adjust.

So I've been taking a break, or just plain scared. Or THINKING. Or maybe recovering. Or the year anniversary without a day job has been shaking. Or I'm lazy. Not sure.

I have spent hours trying to get the #$#$$* new PDA to work in some manner. I DID get some books downloaded and mobipocket, but the palm hasn't done a good sinc since. Urgh. Probably overloaded it. Or it could be mobipocket. Maybe after I read the last 2 of the 4 books I bought I'll take it off both. Yes, I've been reading.

Anyway, I DID work on the office some, and ran across the printout of my first book, The Token (which will never be published). It's in a 3 ringed notebook, and has LOVELY comments from my critique group carefully transferred by hand to the pages. Somewhere I have the first draft of it, all done without critique and full of beginner's mistakes and spiral bound. I was thinking of throuwing this final out -- I literally have NO shelf space left in the office, but now I'm not so sure. I think I would miss it if I threw it out (even though I have it electronically in a couple of forms). So it will stay.

May you be pleased with your work today.
Robin
[First up on the music this am was Sequoia's Season of Renewal, really. currently Lisa Gerrard/Patric Cassidy Psallit in Aure Dei]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]