On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Monday, March 05, 2007

Write What You Know -- Strategy & Cats

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingI first got the idea of inserting a cat into my work when I found myself talking to Maddox (cat Zanth) as he hid behind my office wall (it's doorless) waiting for the other cats to come by so he could pounce. Like Maddox would understand what I said (actually I'm sure he read the tone of my voice). Like he would listen (no). Like he would do what I asked (of course not).

Well, I am down to two cats now, one of my original ones (Mistral/Samba in Heart Thief), and the new guy who just came in this year, but I've been feeding outside for several -- Bittersweet (Myx in the upcoming Heart Dance).

I've watched cat strategy for years, and the main thing is Whoever Commands The Spot At The Top Of The Stairs Commands EVERYTHING. Mistral (fat thing) is sprawled nearly across the hallway. Bittersweet has to get past her to go to any litter box (upstairs or down), since the litter box is in the bathroom beyond the stairs. Food is downstairs. Water is in the bathroom and downstairs. And the stairs are just beyond the office door, so access to the person can also be defended.

The stratedy is interesting, and it definitely shows who is who in any cat status ranking.

So I wrote what I knew, and it worked...
May you find pleasure in your writing today.
Robin

4 Comments:

Blogger moonhart said...

I write dogs and they don't really do strategy...well, I only have one so with more than one, who knows?

I do know that dogs lend themselves to slapstick comedy. Cats are too sophisticated for that. But dogs? Well, what can you say to a species that greet each other by sniffing butts.

LOL!

moon

7:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I read your novel with Mitchella and Raife it was obvious you knew cats it reminded me of our family cat growing up....she rarely graced your lap and when she did you had to sit quietly until she was ready to move otherwise the claws would clamp into your leg as a reminder...very Drina like. :) Jem

2:46 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Moon, I think dogs do pack stuff in a group, so there would be jockeying for position and status. Cats can be funny, too, but they get mortified.

Jem, thanks! Yes, I'm catsitting a cat now who doesn't like to be picked up or handled, but will sit next to me....

Robin

8:34 AM  
Blogger Michele said...

I have read a few books that use cats in their stories. I find that cats, by their very nature, provide wonderful foils and folly via their interactions with the hero/heroine.

I'm glad you have talking cats.
Truthfully, I wouldn't be surpirse if cats COULD talk, telepathically speaking. *grin*

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]