On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Dream Stories

Just woke up from a dream story that was interesting (and after all the horrific bloody anxiety dreams, believe me you DON'T want to hear them, it was refreshing). It was a far future post-apocalyptic thing with Italian Renaissance Family types battling for power. My heroine (I was Storyteller or Detached Spirit) or something had had most of her Family killed -- off stage, thankfully-- and had gone to confront the Family that did it (hmmm, maybe she's not heroine material after all -- except, yes, I think she brought soldiers and, um, subdued the men-elders of that Family). Anyway, it ended with her avoiding an arrow in the back from female of the house (who was killed by heroine's henchman/henchwoman) and sparing a room full of young boys and scooping up their toddler sister and claiming she would foster her...thus putting an end to the feud?

Ok, after writing that, it might sound a little violent and still an anxiety dream, but, you see, the coups were bloodless, and this time the toddler lived and felt really good in the heroine's arms.

It was the FEELING of the dream. Pleasant. And I think I'll stop there before I dig myself into a hole further. Anyway, interesting dream, interesting set-up, but I won't be writing it (and I do get ideas from dreams), because if I wrote it, it would obviously be bloody and angsty.

I think it was warm because FINALLY bright sunlight is streaming through my east windows and it's supposed to get up to mid-fifties (it snowed last week again), and it's wearing being sad.

Yesterday I started printing out my dying friend's live journal for his family to have. Very heavy, yesterday. Today I feel lighter.

Probably not a very interesting blog, but it's going out anyway.
May you smile with your work today.
Robin

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that sounds like the sagas I get in dreams; was never able to write down any, it would have taken up to much time.... however you can use some of yours even if it is only the feeling from the dream, and that can be very strong at times!

2:24 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Yes, writing down a dream can take HOURS...and I really just gave you the ending, there were a few more scenes and the atmosphere does count...

Robin

8:37 AM  
Blogger Michele said...

Most of the storyies ..ok , ALL of the stories I've started writing have come from dreams. It got me going even though where I ended up was never in the dreams.
Sure it's taken hours, because eventually, it ended up going beyond the dream scene.
My dreams NEVER finish, and that gets exasperating .. so, I decided to take matters into my own hands.
Guess that means I write for me.
And thats OK too.

2:04 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Michele, ABSOLUTELY write for yourself, and of course the dream scenes will spark other scenes, ones that come before and ones that follow up. I'd say keep going!

Robin

2:58 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Michele, ABSOLUTELY write for yourself, and of course the dream scenes will spark other scenes, ones that come before and ones that follow up. I'd say keep going!

Robin

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]