On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Do Your Best

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPlot holes. Those words give me cold grue. Since I think plotting is my weakness, it's the thing a reviewer can say that will really hit me. And I recently read a review of one of my books that said it.

But the reviewer gave me an example, and I considered it, then was able to shrug it off. I'd done my best to make sure that particular contingency was covered and wasn't a plot hole. Obviously I'd been to subtle for him/her to get it, or he/she didn't suspend disbelief in that case. In any event, it didn't bother me.

Because I'd done my best. I'd addressed the issue and to me it became less of a "writer failure" and more of a "subjective reader judgement."

Subjective judgement is something you can't fight. If readers don't like "talking" cats, then they won't like my books. There is nothing I can do to change that, so I shrug it off. Whew. One thing less to fret about, though he/she did say plot holes so I don't know what else was wrong....

May you not second guess yourself today.
Robin

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the talking cats. It is one of the reasons why I picked up the first book and continue to pick up each book as soon as they come out. I have bought the Luna series on the strength of the Heart series books-even though I do not usually buy trade paperbacks.
Ellen

8:34 AM  
Blogger Katey Coffing, Ph.D. said...

"May you not second guess yourself today."

Beautiful, Robin! Such an important thing for writers (and everyone!) to keep in mind.

6:16 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks Ellen, and thanks Katey.

Bracing myself here, Ellen, because Heart Dance and Heart Fate will be coming out in trade paperback. I know they're more, but I'm hoping I won't lose too many readers.

Robin

3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]