On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Protector of the Flight Copy Edits

Well, I think I told you all that Protector of the Flight came in at 590 ms pages. The edits were relatively clean. I cut about 8 lines and added (for clarification purposes) maybe ½ a page. I really didn’t have anything I sat to mull over or sit and think about, which was very good, and my editor didn’t ask for any major revisions, also VERY good.

But, as usual, I did a lot of little clean up and word change. Which means that out of the 590 pages, about 570 are going back. Oh, and I changed the name of the flying horse. Yes, when you change a name, that means you SHOULD sit there and cross it out every time you use it, because the typesetter WILL miss one or two. I know this from personal experience. I actually changed 3 names, but only 1 had more than three refernces.

It took me 20 hours broken into two 8 hour blocks and two 2 hour blocks. One of the 2 hour block was when I had to go back and check spelling, or something didn’t make sense, or the set up was wrong or I had to check my research – all the things I put little tabs by.

So I got off easy this time and I’m grateful.

May all your choreography work smoothly and the right names come to you today.
Robin

2 Comments:

Blogger moonhart said...

590 pages? Does the MS come back in TNR or Courier? I swear I never know if I am overwriting or underwriting, but I have been editing out some of my subplots because there just ain't room and they really belong to other books.

I swear there are days I think I will never get this done.

moon

6:26 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Moon, that's my ms pages in Courier New 12, they work with that through 2 edits then send back the galleys or page proofs which are more like the final book (depending on publisher). I'm pretty sure I put a page of copy edits up earlier for you to look at....but I'm late for work and we're packing to move. That bus don't wait.

Robin

7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]