On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Damned With Faint Praise

Yes, I have those sort of reviews, and the ones that really make me go "Duh?" which are those that say how wonderful my books are and give me 4 out of 5 stars. Shrug. As I've said before, inner validation is what matters.

BUT, it's a different thing when the quote is going to be used on my front cover. Berkley wanted something that would address the body of my work, the series, and had a mediocre quote (and I'm trusting you folks to NOT remember the mediocre quote I'm putting here). "Readers will enjoy revisiting this fantasy-like world filled with paranormal talents." -- Booklist. Blah.

So I scoured my reviews (which I usually keep around somewhere, I have a big document called For My Delectation where I kept all the "good bits" for HeartMate). I came up with a quote and sent it off to my editor.

That was the first thing I checked as soon as I got 4 advance copies yesterday. Whew! It made it.

"Robin D. Owens is an absolutely sensational storyteller."-- The Romance Reader.

Ok, the source isn't as good as Booklist, but I thought that mattered less than the verbage of the quote.

Some points to this post: 1) You have to be proactive in this business. 2) Quotes on the cover can be changed later than the art of the cover itself.

May you nail a scene today that will bring you a fabulous quote.
Robin

3 Comments:

Blogger Janet/Cricket said...

A few weeks ago we were in Hong Kong where we gave into the urge to buy some bookleg DVD's for research purposes. They aren't really watchable (bad sound is just the start of it) and have very strange subtitles that seemed to be done through something like Bablefish. Sometimes they aren't even the subtitles of the same movie.

But they have what look like professionally made jackets. Here is the quote from one:

"The Da Vinci Code is not nearly the disaster or deserving of the critical drubbing it has received. It is a better than average popcorn movie that runs a bit long." - Julian Roman

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that is just wonderful!!

2:17 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Janet, I agree with the comment about the Da Vinci Code BOOK...Anonymous, thank you.

Robin

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]