On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Friday, August 11, 2006

Networking

I can’t stress this strongly enough. Find people whose writing you like at any point in their career (newbie to multi-published) and make friends with them. Be sincere. I have written cover quotes for people after reading their work – people in RMFW, people I’ve met online, people who’ve bid high when I auction a critique for a good cause. I’ve recommended critique buddies (and other writers) to my editors and agent.

COURSE I’m not the only one. Most writers I know would lend a helping hand to others, no matter where they are in their career.

And I’ve been the recipient of generosity, Deb Stover and Anne Avery (local ladies at the time) read HeartMate and gave me cover quotes. Jayne Ann Krentz (may she be a bestseller on the New York Times forever!) gave me a quote for Heart Thief. Linnea Sinclair, when I was desperate for layout for an ad for Heart Duel DUE THAT DAY to Romantic Times (my designer fell through at the last moment), spent an entire day working on MY ad, and I’m pretty sure she didn’t do much else.

We are all in this together.

May friendship grace your pages today.
Robin

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, there are wonderful people out there

10:47 AM  
Blogger moonhart said...

That is one of the many wonderful things about the writing community. And I am happy to say that most of the writers I have contacted have been extremely generous with their time and advice.

Present company included,

moon

P.S. Funny you should mention Deb Stover, I am drafting an email to her. LOL!

7:39 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

I'm glad you both have run into good people.

Robin

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]