On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Different Strokes for Different Folks

I sent three ARCs out for Protector of the Flight and got a GREAT review for the book and the series back from Huntress Reviews (will post sometime later), and an email back from a "horse" friend of mine who was reading it for verisimilatude for the horse part (the non-telepathic, Earth and Lladranan) horse part. She said that it was my best book since HeartMate.

I blinked. She's ALWAYS been a big supporter, always said she liked my work, and I never knew that she liked HeartMate the best. Huh.

My good critique buddy for many years, Sharon Mignerey, said that there would be people who liked the first book of mine they read better than any other, and I've run across this, myself.

Heart Thief, since it has a darker, tortured (literally), outcast hero (as well as being the deliberately sexiest book I wrote) is usually some people's favorite of all my books. This is interesting to me, but I grew accustomed to it.

I know a friend likes Heart Duel the best because it echoed her own experiences with her family and her choice of husband.

I like Heart Choice because it pulled out the most powerful scene I think I've ever written out of me (though there was a scene like that in HeartMate).

I like Guardian of Honor because Alexa is so easy to write, so over the top. Need someone who'll accept danger and continue without counting the cost like Harry Potter? That's Alexa. I think of her as the utterly free from worry part of me and am pretty damn sure she is actually my father's daughter.

So, different strokes for different folks, and when I hear a friend likes one of my books more than another, that's a fascinating insight on their personality for me. Of course, I expected my "horse" friend to like Protector. It is, after all, about the Volaran's Exotique.

May you always have different stories that will engage different people.
Robin

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say that HeartMate is my favorite. Seems that odd numbers win: I prefer HeartMate to Heartthief (the hero here leaves me cold); HeartDuel to Heartchoice, so I am looking forward to the next odd number: Heart Quest...
T'Ash is great to read about..in real life that kind of man is really frightening!!
In any case keep them coming!!!

7:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My curiosity is up. How does Heart Duel - a Romeo and Juliet theme - apply to your friend & her choice of husband in free/modern day USA?

8:23 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks, Reader, like I said, I think it shows people's personalities by which books they prefer...Heart Quest is more "middle-class." I hope you'll enjoy it.

Anonymous, apparently my friend was very young and loved her guy and her parents hated him...and she and her husband ran away to get married and have spent many happy years together. It was a family disapproval thing.

Robin

8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]