On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Plotting Session! Oh, boy! Oh, boy! Oh, boy!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting No, that's not facetious, though you all know how I feel about plotting, and the "Oh, boy. Oh, boy. Oh, boy!" are actually my mentor's words. Four of us are going away to commit Story Magic (a plotting system developed by Laura Baker, Laura DeVries, and Robin Perrini several years ago) in a couple of hours.

Three of these folks have plotted together before. With Maggie Osborne. With Jasmine Cresswell. Big names in the Colorado writers' community. But I never was asked (well, I usually had a day job and little time).

My buddies (also crit buddies for the last umpty-ump years in one of my 2 groups, the other of which diminished until we combined and I only have one), are now ALL published authors. Janet Lane recently sold her incredible Emerald Silk (medieval historical romance) to Five Star, which will be coming out in November. Janet is, simply, The Plot Queen. She'll make us dig several layers for motivation and we'll craft the proper events around that. She always reads my rough drafts for holes.

The others are Peggy Waide (who wrote Regency historicals and is working on other genre books now), and my mentor, Kay Bergstrom (writing as Cassie Miles and Earning Her Living By Her Pen for a long, long time). Kay is also very good at plot. Peggy and I are strict pantzers. I am hoping that our different personalities will bounce off each other and we will have a fabulous session.

The absolutely BEST thing about plotting with others (this will be a 2 day intensive plotting with 4 stories), is that THEY come up with completely different stuff that would NEVER occur to me. And, well, I'm usually off-the-wall in terms of strange ideas, also pretty good with characters.

So I'm excited. And Kay's excited. Oboy, Oboy, Oboy. We'll hop into Peggy's SUV and head up to Janet's time share in the mountains away from the Denver heat, and you know, though the drive is only about an hour and a half, we'll ALL talk and talk and talk and talk about WRITING!

Nobody's eyes will glaze over after 2 minutes! We don't have to stifle ourselves or be polite and drift away from the all important topic of My Book. With Other People I watch carefully to see when I start boring them...

So, since I won't be back until Thursday night (probably late), I won't be posting tomorrow. Don't know what the facilities include -- oh, except a hot tub. Gotta run and pack my suit!

May your writing day be full of pleasing excitement.
Robin

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you all are going to have a jolly good time amongst writer/friends.
Hope you will all benefit from it and we readers will reap a good harvest too.
Share some of it with us please!

A guess not Soccer for you?

2:41 PM  
Blogger Lit Wit said...

Have fun!

8:39 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

We had a good time. Didn't watch any tv or any of the world cup but talked with our Brazilian waiter on Weds night about it...

Robin

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]