On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Simplicity

Image hosting by Photobucket
I wrote a simple scene today. Nothing huge, nothing tortuous – a simple scene using simple words that will, I hope, work on the emotions just as simply. The scene seemed to call for it and I don't think it's too trite.

Usually I craft each sentence as I can, varrrying word choice, structure. But this one I just let be. The one simple scene of mine that the infamous Mrs. Giggles ever approved of I rewrote about ten times. I hope this one matches it.

Or perhaps no one will really even notice the scene and the simplicity, merely feel the emotions I want and move on. And that will be the best.

May your writing be your best today.
Robin

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, simplicity is the best. The watercolour teacher told us to always remember K.I.S.S., and apply it to more than painting :

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid!

Very good advice we all though.

11:58 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

This is an excellent point. OTOH, I usually do think about word choice a lot -- especially if I'm doing different characters like Marian and Alexa and Calli...

Robin

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]