On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Mind your Body

When I woke up this morning, my shoulder blades hurt. I have tendonitis, most particularly in my right arm, but my shoulders are where I keep stress, and since I haven't seen any writing income this year, and I'm thinking HARD about Protector of the Faith, I DO have stress.

I haven't been switching my chairs. My walking buddy has been under deadline and unavailiable, it's been cold and snowy and I haven't been walking.

So I hauled up my laptop from the dining room table and worked out in the bedroom to this VERY old, very beloved low impact excercise tape that my brother had copied onto DVD for me. I've had it so long that I've made up "embellishments" move faster, double time sometimes, add arm movements...not today. Today I did it straight and half way through, I could feel that my hips needed some loosening, too.

I feel better. The blog had to wait, writing has to wait, breakfast has to wait. The best I've ever felt in my life is when I excersized (to this 28 minute tape) every day. I did some last month for the same reason and to prepare for horse camp, and I noticed the difference right away.

As a writer, it's easy to abuse your body...not stand and stretch every hour or so if you're on a roll...skip meals (though this hasn't happened to me lately ;) ) not excercise. But this is WRONG. Daily excercise feeds the mind. Stephen King walks an hour a day.

So, today, may your excercise bring new insights to your writing. It happens!
Robin

1 Comments:

Blogger Michele said...

Thanks for the gentle reminder about exercise. I've been completely negligent in that dept and couldn't figure out why I felt different and icky. "Duh"

Stephen King walks an hour a day?
Wow ... and he's prolific ... Hmmm, I guess there could be a connection. I think a lot in the shower..but that's not good for the water bill or my skin.

BTW-I liked your blog post title...short on words, long on meaning, cool.

6:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]