On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Night Ideas

Last night was one of those nights I woke up at 3:30 am. Since the high temperature here yesterday was 8F above (when I got up, it was -13F), I wasn't about to crawl out of my warm waterbed, dress in my four layers of clothes, and walk a few steps to the office. Furthermore, I couldn't take the glare of the screen in the night. I worked on my mailing list from about 4-10 last night and my eyes hurt.

So what do when night ideas strike? I'm single. That's a big deal in this particular matter. I know some writers who keep a penlight-- one of those pens with a little light in it-- and paper. Others that get up and go into the computer room. I keep a microcasette recorder near my bed that I'd unearthed from the disaster that is my dining room table (all STUFF lands on the dining room table, and that now includes mail, my last year tax papers, most of the galleys of Sorceress of Faith, a camera, and all the office things I had in my gray cubicle at the day job...). However, I checked the microcasette recorder earlier this week and the batteries are dead (I need to keep batteries in the bedroom).

So I went over the plot points a few times in my head for Defender of the Flight -- 3rd Luna book, heard the art is in but being laid out in cover form so haven't seen it -- and I some info for Heart Match, the next Heart book, should I sell it.

Just thinking that you'll remember a scene is VERY dangerous. You won't. You won't remember lines or plot ideas or even STORY ideas unless you have a very, very good memory. Trust me, baby. So "I'll remember later" is not at all as good as jotting even a few lines down, or dictating something....

Which is why I'm ending now, when at least one of the three things I was thinking about is still within reach.

May you always remember what you need.
Robin

5 Comments:

Blogger ssas said...

I completely rewrote the beginning of my book in my head early this am. My rule is: If I go to sleep in between, I'll forget. But I got up soon after, so I remembered.

I have forgotten great 3 am stuff, though an epiphany at that time of night might not stand up to the light of day.

That's how I pacify myself when I forget, anyway.

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

any chance of more about Hear Match? Please

12:31 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Good going, sex! I got some of the Defender of Flight down, and made my word count and will come back to it after I do some errands. Cats are out of food and are not understanding when that happens.

Reader -- not much to say about Heart Match since I introduce the hero and heroine in Heart Quest...except I think I've mentioned old D'Willow's heir in a couple of books...

Robin

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, D'Willow and her heir didn't get along or something. You said so in Heart Duel.

7:02 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Heh, heh, heh. That's it. For centuries the title of "Willow" -- the matchmakers of Celta-- has gone to a female. The oracle at the birth of this guy said he was the strongest in Flair in matchmaking in generations. D'Willow didn't like that.

I didn't paint her very sympathetically in previous books, and she was quite heavy AND arrogant and I don't think she ever got over walking to Nuadan's Sword and kneeling before Ruis Elder to ask his forgivenes...She was one of those who voted to execute him.

You see the backstory I have!

Many thanks for letting me put it down someewhere.

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]