On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Sex Scene, Love Scene, Consummation Scene

Yes I wrote two last night one from his Point of View and one from hers -- the first was very stop and start, but I don't think I'll have to revise it much, the second I will continue to work on tonight.

And yes, we can use these words pretty indescrimately, but they ARE different. Sex is just that (and in a strict, true romance it takes place between the hero and heroine only) -- sex is a lustful desire, a heat of the body. Love scene is different, even if it's hard and fast and up against the wall. Consummation Scene would be the ultimate love scene in the book where both parties know they are in love, have expressed their love and committment to each other and are now celebrating that love.

What makes them different? The core of EVERY genre book -- motivation. Motivation in a love scene means that the emotions shown or felt will be that of love, more than desire, a yearning for this one person alone, even if the people involved don't know this.

One more note. My characters are different people. That means each couple makes love differently. Think about it.

And I really should get back to the writing, or clean up and go in to work early today so that I can put in enough hours that I am not short when I leave at 3 for an early panel at Mile Hi Con tomorrow. It's about my fav topic, covers. I have one at the end of the day, too, a PJ panel on...ha, ha...sex/romance in sf/f. Since I don't have a room at the hotel, I'll be wandering, and I WILL take my laptop and see if I can squeeze in a bit of work. My 1,000 Wallet Calendars with Sorceress of Faith on it (with 2006 on the back) have arrived. No booklets this year.

Love to all and may your motivations be solid today!

Robin

2 Comments:

Blogger ssas said...

eek, this is the hardest part of writing books. some of it makes me just cringe, and I'm no prude at all. I don't know why, but like in RL, it's hard to strike a balance between love and sex, isn't it?

4:01 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Yes, Sex, it can be difficult. I was in the middle of a sensual scene (not quite lovemaking) when 9-11 happened. Needless to say, that scene was pretty much the last I wrote in Heart Thief -- the one in the tent...

Robin


Michele, I think I deleted your message accidently in the Ebooks topic when I was getting rid of a spammer. I will write more on Publishing Rights tomorrow, just for you ;)
Robin

6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]