On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, August 06, 2005

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I LOVED Moon Magnetism. One of those wonderfully original stories that I wish I'd written myself. I can't recommend it greatly enough. Get this book, all the stories are excellent.

Excerpt: http://www.lucymonroe.com/ExcerptsSQ.htm

**ROBIN**

I got this off Lucy's Website: http://www.lucymonroe.com

ON DOING VS. DREAMING: I have this wonderful quote on my "Tough Dames" calendar by Gossip Columnist, Liz Smith. "You can't build a reputation on what you intend to do." I love the quote so much because it is absolutely true and never more so than for the writer. A lot of people want to write a book, a few people will and even fewer will have the courage to submit their work to an editor. Dreams remain dreams until we give them feet. Then they become goals. I sold the 13th manuscript I wrote...that's a lot of feet for my dreams and it meant a lot of stumbling along the way, but the intention to write a book will not make you an author. Only writing it will do that.

Robin: I started writing when a relationship ended (ok, I was dumped by a very long-term lover). To do something for me I took a class on writing romantic suspense. There were about 15 women in that class in April. I kept up with the book (without any contact with critique -- wince) and by the time of the Rocky Mtn Fiction Writer's conference in September, had finished a book (mostly because a good friend of mine was moving away and wanted to know how it ended). In September, only TWO of us who had attended the class were still serious. I became good buddies with the other person, but she dropped out of writing after a couple of years.

So, by about the 3rd year -- of 15 who started there was only me. Is still only me.

NEVER QUIT!!!

Robin

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Robin... okay, that was a Sharon moment for me. Sharon used to occasionally say stuff like that to me and it always hit me when I needed it. I see she rubbed off on you-or maybe it was you on her. :)

Thanks for that great post, it really was something I needed today. And so glad you said what you did about Lucy's story, because Lucy is another person who inspires me, and that book is on my list to read soon. Guess it'll be next. :)

3:07 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you. I love your books and am looking forward to reading your Luna series! Really liked the quote from Liz Smith. What a feisty broad!

3:18 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks -- Danica, the Never Quit is probably both of us, though I used it as a dedication in HeartMate, the "when in doubt, take it out" is definitely Sharon...pretty much everything else is mixed after 10 years of critiquing together...

CAI, THANK YOU!!

Robin

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]