On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Friday, July 08, 2005

Epublishing to NY

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Yes, it can happen. My editor at Berkley has picked up a couple of epublished authors who have gone on to make it BIG! Angela Knight, as I said before, and Mary Janice Davidson. But you need to know your craft and have a unique twist or voice.

I read Mary Janice in epub and especially like the Wyndham werewolves, but her Undead series is HOT.

Most women would love to live as royalty, but Betsy has found that being vampire queen has more problems than perks, except for always being awake for Midnight Madness sales. It may be easy to find blood (yuck) in the dark of night, but try finding a strawberry smoothie. And employees at her nightclub Scratch have been giving her nothing but grief since she killed their former boss. Some people...

But Betsy's "life" takes an interesting turn at a baby shower for her wicked stepmother, who lets it slip that Betsy has a long-last half sister. Now twenty years old, this woman just so happens to be the devil's daughter...and destined to rule the world.



Love to all,
Robin

8 Comments:

Blogger Night Owl Romance - Tammie said...

I just got Heart Choice in the mail from Amazon - Thanks for the great book - Tam

7:39 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

LOL. It always surprises me when someone says they just got and read it immediately.

THANKS!

Robin

8:40 AM  
Blogger moonhart said...

I just finished it yesterday!

I realllly love Vinni! I can't wait for what you have planned for him. And Winterberry! Very nice. And Trif. See, those little dangling threads get me every time.

I've loved T'Ash and in every book I look forward to his appearance. I think it's great that you still reveal his mellowing character in other books. I hope that we'll actually get to see him be a total marshmallow with one of his children? (hint, hint)

I am looking forward to Winterberry because he is not a GreatLord. So, this will be a slice of life from a slightly lower class.

Interesting stuff.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Michele said...

Add me to the list! I just finished Heart Choice too! And I totally agree with Moonhart. I read it in one sitting, although I did stay up until midnight to do it. I couldn't put it down. I never suspected who was the bad guy in the story...love the attitudes of the cats. It is so like them if they could really talk. So believable! I'm so glad about the new baby in the story, that just got me all warm and fuzzy. Can't wait to see if Vinni is the Oracle *guessing here* for Danith's little one that I hope we get to see next book. I'm so very glad that T'Holly was taken to task....it sounds like its going to be a thread through another book...good, I want to see him warm up, tone down and get Mitchella in there to redecorate a bit...*grin*...
Thanks for another wonderful trip into the world of Celta!!!!

5:43 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Well, folks, talk about "warm fuzzies..." I am working on my monthly website update to send to my webmistress and I'm including a couple of new things.

1) In 2002 I did a plotting workshop with a couple of buddies and here's the original notes. LOTS changed, including the title.

2) LUNA SENT ME THE COVER FOR SORCERESS OF FAITH AND IT IS ONLY THE MOST BEAUTIFUL COVER IN THE UNIVERSE -- though the woman isn't "rubenesque" as I requested, but it's photomontage and how many rubenesque models are in NY?

Love to all,
Robin

6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does it mean that all other e-authors who didn't get picked up have generic voices and don't know their craft?

1:53 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

**Wince** I really didn't mean to imply that. I've read badly-crafted print books, and I've read badly-crafted ebooks. These two authors were writing for a long time and were ready. I read Undead and Unwed in both ebook and print, and there were some definite changes MJ had to make for mass market (the lesbian kiss for one, which I thought was something that spoke to character).

I'm not sure how to dig myself out of this hole, except with a generalization -- in general, it takes some time to learn the craft. Many ebook writers are new writers, and are less strong in craft than I like.

That's not to say that other ebook writers are bad and won't be picked up by NY. Many things make a story better for ebooks -- topics that NY is wary of -- but I do think that the more craft you have, the better shot you have at major print publishers. And I had HeartMate at an ehouse, a small press, and NY at the same time. Berkley got back to me first...

Robin

3:28 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

I hate hard covers :( I like to read in bed and I can't snuggle if I have to sit up with a heavy book on my lap.

My Heart Choice still hasn't arrived, silly intercontinental frieght.

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]