On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, July 02, 2005

Freewriting

Freewriting: that's moving a pencil/pen (HANDWRITTEN) across the page for a certain time (30 minutes, 45 is good for me or 3 full 8 1/2 x 11 pages), NO STOPPING and just putting down your thoughts. For many, blogs may be computer freewriting. Since I have a topic, I don't consider this as freewriting (and it isn't handwritten). In June, my Free Your Artist Creativity Exercise #1 was freewriting
http://www.robindowens.com/freeyourartist.htm and, no, I haven't updated my website for July yet. Probably done by the end of the week.

Why is this a good thing? Because it lets your mind wander and find something that is out of the ordinary lurking in there, a writing problem that might be bothering you. Or a real-life problem. Julia Cameron in The Artitst's Way used Freewriting extensively as her Morning Pages. I did this program twice, and what happened to me with the morning pages is that I got rid of poison that was in my thoughts and might be coloring my work -- negative thoughts about my work, daily thoughts that plagued me while I wrote (and though you can use some problems, feeling fat and wondering about the running toilet every day doesn't really add depth to the story, unless you've hidden a clue in the mysterious running toilet in your ms.)

So give it a try, see if there's something about your writing that was bothering you, some new flight of fancy that emerges, or if you just feel better after having let those grumpy thoughts out (and Ms. Cameron advises 3 pages because you wander around for about 1 1/2 before what's really bothering you comes out).

Love, Robin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]