On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Monday, June 20, 2005

World Building -- and The Aliens Have Landed

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Whatever “world” you build – whether it is futuristic/fantasy colonists from Earth who develop psi powers (my Heart Series), Laurell K. Hamilton’s alternate reality series with vampires and werewolves, etc., or Gena Showalter’s new Alien Huntress Series – the world needs to be fully developed. I’m sure Gena has tons of rules and background materials that she isn’t using in the books. For instance, yesterday was Summer Solstice and I use that -- it's a big deal as a date in Heart Choice (coming in TWO WEEKS!) But with aliens invading Earth, would the Earth folk have an advantage in knowing, perhaps in blood and bone, the natural Earth rhythms? Maybe the aliens are slightly weaker then and don't realize it? Tonight is the full moon, and everyone who builds werewolf stories uses that!

For me, exploring a new world, new concepts is So Exciting! So take a look at this!

Awaken Me Darkly by Gena Showalter

Blurb:

Mia Snow is part of an elite task force within the New Chicago PD, and every night she stalks and kills otherworldly predators. Alien advocates often ask her if she, a hunter, a legalized killer, lives with guilt. Her answer: Hell no. She’s seen the carnage aliens leave in their wake. Years ago, they killed her older brother and she has hated them ever since. They deserve the sting of her pyre-gun, and if necessary, she will fight to her death to see them eliminated. She is an Alien Huntress.

Now, there is an alien serial killer preying upon humans. Mia must use her psychic abilities and deadly fighting skills to find him. Funny thing, though. Her prime suspect, an alien, is also the only man she’s ever loved.
Excerpt here:

http://members.cox.net/genashowalter/excerpt.htm

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Today is the 21st of June. Hope you get up to date with your Blog!
Just greedy for more info about your writing and future books. By the way are you already writing a new Heart... book, the one after Heart Quest?

9:41 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

HUH! I missed a day somewhere. I'll have to go back and see where I got off, because I posted Worldbuilding this am. Huh.

9:44 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Ok. I've been writing the blogs about a day ahead of time, so a couple of times you will find TWO for a day instead of the one I intended...hmmm, they save under the draft date, so I'll learn how to work around that...

THANKS! Robin

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks.
Just read the review for Heart Choice at Paranormal Review and it is good.

10:03 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

THANKS! I'll have to go on over and check it out. Reviews are always nervous-making.

Heart Quest is currently my last contracted Heart book. I have several more ideas. One is with a couple of characters I introduced in a minor way in Heart Duel, and one is with the new GreatLord T'Willow (matchmaker) that I'm introducing in Heart Quest.

Then there's Tinne and his lady, too, and the younger generation -- Vinni T'Vine and Antenn Moss...

Love,
Robin

7:45 PM  
Blogger ssas said...

Advice: Blogger can be fickle. Sometimes a post just disappears in the process of publishing. sometimes entire BLOGS disappear. If it's something I want to keep, I write in word and then copy over.

And I just recently copied my entire blog over to Word, as well, to keep all my archives.

6:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]