On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, June 18, 2005

Publishing Timeline

This is a timeline on WHEN things take place in the NY publishing world. My Heart books are running about a year out...that's when real production starts with cover discussions, etc. I think the quickest time is about 9 months for a scheduled book.

June 22, 2004 – Send in prospective covers for Heart Choice to the Berkley Art Dept.
I wanted two heart shaped boxes on the cover. So I sent about six boxes and a bracelet. The bracelet is on the cover (see far right cover). As you can see by the colors on this blog and my website, I prefer dark jewel tones, http://www.robindowens.com so this is actually my least favorite cover. I think folks who like teal and beige will like this one. It's metallic, too.

November 30, 2004 Heart Choice Manuscript to Berkley
I try to finish the manuscript early and hand off to a couple of critique buddies before I submit the manuscript. This date is written in the contract (Date was 10/31/04). I was actually a month late due to working on the Sorceress of Faith proposal for Luna. I have the day job, remember?

February 2, 2005 Heart Choice Copy Edits
The Copy Editor looks for punctuation, choreography, repeat words, etc. and any questions that arise. My editor will also make notations which I should answer. This is the last time any major editing can be done to the manuscript by me without penalty.

April 6, 2005 Heart Choice Page Proofs (Galleys)
This is to make sure any copy edit changes made it into the manuscript, last check for typos, punctuation, etc. I get scared about this time since it looks pretty much like a real book, 2 sheets per page, landscape, tiny print. I hand it off to my good friend Rose Beetem (a wonderful editor) to read. We go over any questions. Note – contractually if I have any more than something like 10% revisions, I have to pay for the manuscript to be reset by the printer.

July 5, 2005 HEART CHOICE "STREET DATE" WHEN IT'S IN THE STORES.

2 Comments:

Blogger Michele said...

You have to pay for revisions beyond 10% ?? OUCH! I hope all goes well. No author needs that headache.
Let's take out the "0" and opt for 1%, sounds better, yes?
Good Luck!

8:26 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Well, esp. in the "olden days" when typesetting was done by hand, they didn't want an author revising and revising...also they usually pay at the copy edit stage and if the author then revises big chunks of the book, it might not be what they paid for...

And you know, I can revise forever.

Robin

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]