On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Where Do You Get Your Ideas?

Well, shoot, Diva walked over my face and woke me from one of those really cool story dreams -- no, I won't be writing it, I think it was set in Early Days of some city (like Chicago) in a fire department -- not my sort of book. But I sure would like to know how it ended -- these were dream people as opposed to story people, so the ending could be a complete surprise.

And it was much better than the turkey basting dream I had the night before...which I am convincing myself had nothing to do with writing...

I've written ten stories, three of which are not published. One of those came from a dream. So I don't often get ideas from dreams. I get ideas from physical objects (the other writer I know of that this happens to is Pamela Clare). HeartMate came from a bloodstone pendulum I bought. (I love bloodstone). I had it in front of me and started thinking about divination and a man who would use it. On Earth that man might be considered a superstitious wimp, so he had to be someplace where this might happen -- Celta. I also made him a man who'd chiseled the stone from the quarry, shaped his Divination Dice and forged swords -- a jeweler and a blacksmith. I actually sat down and started writing, learning all this as I went along.

I don't recall what seed flowered into the Summoning series. Those were stories I told myself before I went to sleep long before I started seriously writing. Now when I think of stories before I go to sleep, it's more like "and how will this relationship progress for the synopsis," which, of course, leads back to the turkey basting -- I hope not!

Love to all,
Robin

4 Comments:

Blogger Michele said...

Hey, at least you get stories from your dreams. I get really tasteless jokes and I have the audacity to post them on a blog. How sick is that????
I look forward to your new series. Sounds fascinating!!!

7:57 AM  
Blogger ssas said...

one visit to a pub in England in the woods and I wrote a series from that experience.

finally I thought I'd better write the pub in.

The Dew Drop Inn, Berkshire

3:04 PM  
Blogger moonhart said...

Basting a turkey makes it juicy. Maybe it was a sign that you were adding juiciness subconsciously?

My ideas tend to start with a character spontaeously showing up on my doorstep.

Terri

5:46 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

LOL, Michele. I read some dream books and they WILL do jokes. Sex, excellent! I knew some writers got ideas from dreams. Moonhart -- yes, I'm working on making the plot jucier and worried (as usual) it will be a turkey...

6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]