On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Monday, June 13, 2005

Have Laptop Will Travel – Jury Duty

Yes, I got the Summons a few weeks ago and now it's time to show up. I'll take an early bus in, transfer to the free shuttle, then walk to the courthouse in Civic Center. I've charged my laptop, palm and my cell phone (which I use rarely).

But the good thing about being a writer is that you can work anywhere – ideally. Like most writers, I have a small notebook and pens in my purse, so even if something goes wrong with the laptop, I should be ok. That's the simple info for today. WRITE EVERYWHERE. I also have a microcasette for beside my bed and in the car in case inspiration strikes. More info: YOU CAN'T DEPEND ON INSPIRATION, SO WHEN IT STRIKES BE PREPARED TO WRITE THE SCENE, DIALOGUE, SYNOPSIS IDEAS DOWN.

My list to take with me: Transfer the synopsis I worked on yesterday, along with emailed critique to my flash drive. Pack hard copies of last in-person critique group in laptop case. Transfer some new mp3 files to the flash drive for the laptop. I've been listening to a LOT of strange music while writing the Summoning series (chants and gongs and chimes, you know) – stuff that's supposed to help my chakras, and there's some I really like. I'm also experimenting with the beta, delta, theta wave "Accelerated Learning, Creativity, Meditation" stuff, and I have something new I downloaded yesterday from emusic that I'll try.

Small story: the last time I was summoned to jury duty, it was the day after I got the news I'd sold my first book. After The Call. In writer circles that's how we speak of it. "I got The Call! Did you hear, he got The Call." Everyone knows what you mean. I was so excited. I took my old laptop, and cassette player and headphones, but didn't get much done. Today I think I can work on revisions.

I only hope I don't get chosen for a trial. I'm participating in a panel tomorrow evening in Colorado Springs and I might have to cancel if a trial comes up (they know this). Another thing, trying to make Colorado Springs at 6:30 from Downtown Denver when you leave at 5:00 is not possible.

Oh, yes. Just in case, I'll take my keyboard for my palm....
Love to all,
Robin

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hopefully it all turns out the way you want :) Yes it is cool that you'll be able to do some writing though.

6:42 AM  
Blogger Night Owl Romance - Tammie said...

oh - My husband got one of those last month. The date was scheduled for our vacation, so he was able to postpone it a while. I'm 4 years older than him and have never had a summons.

Great to be networked like that Robin. You would fit right in at my home. :) We are all into computers.

7:34 AM  
Blogger Michele said...

Hopefully it is a state summons. I had a federal once and I was on call for 2 1/2 months, during the summer. I was on a jury for 3 days on that one.

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Getting on a jury is pretty easy. Staying off is way easier. Be loud. Know everything, and comment on it--either verbally or with your face.
When I was in the business of choosing juries, I wanted all zeroes except a couple of moderates who agreed with me. This is easier to get away with than trying to get even one strong personality on my side.

4:30 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Well, it's been a strange day. Up early and blogging, at the Jury Room (overpacked) and EIGHT jury panels were seated, I wasn't called at all. Everytime I got working, they started calling numbers and I closed everything down. Did a little fiddling with the first and second chapters of my contemporary paranormal proposal and maybe FOUR FULL PARAGRAPHS of the synopsis. Went to work and that was interrupted by watching the Michael Jackson verdict.

I'm beat. I think I'll take a nap, then start work again...interesting time, but now I'm good for a year -- no summons until next June 13...

Robin

5:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]