On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday, June 09, 2005

ARCs / Sentence structure

Advanced Readers Copies -- Just printed out THREE late ARCs -- late because they should go out for review about 3 months before the book hits the stands to reviewers, bookstores, etc. Formatting -- I format Times New Roman, Landscape (sideways) for 2 pages to a sheet -- so it looks rather like a book. I use 11 pt because it's still legible but saves on paper. I will spiral bind them in dark blue back cover and clear front cover (which are not as clear as they were because Mistral sat on them and left some scratches and an odd hair or two. I see wipe down in my future).

On all published ARCs there is a big note "Not To Be Sold" on the front cover -- they go up on ebay, anyway. I am not so popular as to make big sales on ebay, but PLEASE if you see something like this, let the author know.

And because I've had a Humiliatingly Horrific Experience I don't like people to copy, read from, etc. so I put this up -- as you all should do -- in the header of EVERY page:

ADVANCED READING COPY. This copy may be slightly different than the final novella. All rights reserved; copyright © Robin D. Owens. The text contained within may not be reproduced in whole or in part, read aloud, or distributed in any form whatsoever OR SOLD without first obtaining permission from the author.

My new HP printer was AWESOME. I am SO pleased.

I know I promised to talk about Maps -- but I simply don't have the time, so I'll do that tomorrow. We had an Incident with Diva being locked out (she's half-Siamese and shrieks really well) and I woke up at 4 am and it took me a while to get back to sleep and I didn't want to get up when she pawed at me for breakfast and I overslept and missed my first bus to work....

And we'll talk about run-on sentences and when to do them, too. Looked at Heart Choice's properties and there is one sentence with 107 words...either I forgot several periods or I used it in a rushed moment (like above) or consummation scene (which I like to do to), but I really can't recall at this moment.

(&(%&$ looks like I missed bus 2 now, too, so I'll have to drive in. Big bucks for parking. Traffic. No playing Ma Jong or free cell or reading on the bus. RATS. (so you can see the different styles in using short sentences for emphasis or quick reading too and I didn't mean to talk about that today either).

Love to all,
Robin

4 Comments:

Blogger Night Owl Romance - Tammie said...

Hello Robin - If you have any extra ARC I would love to review your book on my website

http://www.nightowlromance.com

I own most of your other books. My sister and I are waiting for your next book - We have already pre-ordered from Amazon.

I first heard about your books on louisabrown.net - she has some really great reviews on your heart series. I was hooked from the first book. bring on the kittens.

10:03 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Yes, I love Louisa's site, and the printing is easy, the binding hare, the mailing tiresome...but if you let me print a loose copy or accept a .pdf file, I can do that.

Robin

12:24 PM  
Blogger Night Owl Romance - Tammie said...

Either would be great - .pdf would be nice - no postage and no need to make it to the post office :)many thanks - nightowlromance@gmail.com

1:24 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

It's on it's way! Many thanks.
Robin

6:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]