On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday, June 02, 2005

Negative Inner Critic

Some people make fun of affirmations, but consider this, how often do you hear your “negative” or “inner” critic try to shoot you down? That’s what affirmations are for – when the negative critic says “That’s a crappy piece of work, and you’ll never be able to fix it.” Then you pull out the affirmation. “I’m an excellent writer and getting better every day.”

Do you have an image of your negative critic? Julia Cameron in her wonderful “The Artist’s Way” leads you to identifying and overcoming your negative critic, by affirmations, above, and other means. One of the best exercises I ever did was in Chapter 1 or 2, called “Blurts.” Every now and then I’ll go back and do that one again.

As for my negative critic, I can’t put the image up, because that, too, is copyrighted…it’s the black spy of Spy vs. Spy in Mad Magazine. Fortunately for me there are plenty of images of the guy holding sticks of dynamite or bombs and blowing up. I have one next to my computer.

I also have a wonderful .wav file I found years ago of the Wicked Witch of the West screaming “I’m melting!” At the press of a button I can listen to my inner critic scream as I banish her….ok, maybe I have two images – the black spy and the Wicked Witch of the West, but knowing about them and refusing to let them get to me can make all the difference in the world as to whether my day is productive or not. And, yes, it is a day-by-day battle.

Love to all,
Robin

3 Comments:

Blogger Gena Showalter said...

I love that! I want my inner critic to scream "I'm melting" too. Ha! Great stuff.

12:29 PM  
Blogger ssas said...

I wish my inner critic just talked. But no, mine is much more subtle and manipulative. Mine makes my eyelids heavy and puts urges like changing laundry and watering flowers and reading blogs into me.

especially when editing for submission. eh. the worst...

3:44 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Well, Gena, I sent it to you, and if anyone else wants it, just email me at robin@robindowens.com

Robin

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]