On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, May 14, 2005

Demonic Printer Defenestrated

Oooooh! I wanted to, but didn't throw it out my 2nd floor office window. But I DID replace it. The miserable Brother printer crashed for the last time. I will NEVER get another Brother printer. You could not GIVE me another Brother printer. It failed to print out my last submission, Sorceress of Faith, and I had to borrow a friend's computer to fulfill my contract.

Nothing is worse for a a writer than when equipment crashes. I've had luck with my computers, but not with printers. So I got an HP 1012 and we'll see how that goes. I plan on setting it up tonight.

But, when going to Office Max I was sent to another store (the printer was on sale), near a Barnes and Noble and I "signed stock" -- autographed all copies of Guardian of Honor, and they were placed on an end cap (more prominent placement) of Local Authors. I also got the card of the B&N event manager and made good contacts. Hooray!

Love,
Robin

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woo Hoo Robin!!!! :)

7:06 PM  
Blogger Anika Wolfsung said...

Yeah brother printer's do that...I used to work at Office Depot and you have no idea how many times people came in with complaints. I always go with HP myself...though my current printer (an All-in One, keeps needing the drivers reinstalled)

Better a new printer though than a new computer...my computer crashed recently, taking the entire beginning of a novel I was writing with it (yeah I know i should have backed it up, too late now.

Hope you don't mind me going back and reading you old posts, you are such a wonderful writer I was so excited to see you had a blog. Anyways I need to get back to reading Echoes in the Dark.

PS- I first picked up your book Guardian of Honor for a silly reason, you are the only fantasy writer I have ever seen who has the same first name as me.

1:56 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Anika/Robin, yes, I don't miss the brother printer at all. The cache was too small.

Whatever is up is public. Sorry about your novel, that SUCKS. A couple of things (both my laptop and desktop crashed this year). For paid online back up you can use Carbonite, $56 a year and it auto-saves files organized just like your computer.

Or you can use Dropbox.

I still love wordperfect because I have a button on my toolbar that will save and save to a flash at the same time, so easier to back up.

SO SORRY about your novel.

And there aren't many writers out there with "Robin" and even less characters.

Robin

6:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]