On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Pronunciation Question

Am drafting info for my narrator for the Heart books! Okay...I have an Ogham pronunciation guide, but I didn't use it a lot mostly because I found it a little late in my process. Tinne for me is Tin. The reason I'm posting this is Saille (Maidens of Saille House For Orphans, and Saille T'Willow). The guide states it should be Sahl (Saul), and THAT one I said to myself when writing Heart Dance....however before that it was Sail (like Sail a boat), or even, perhaps, Zail. What do you all think?

6 Comments:

Blogger Donna said...

my head it sounds like SAY-ool, sort of like sail but stressed more on the first syllable, and then secondly a little less UL and more OOL at the end.

5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it should vary according to sex. One pronunciation for males, one for females.

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, like for Denis and Denise?

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought the man's version sounded like Sahl-lee and the woman's version sounded like Sally.

Tinne I thought sounded like Etienne the French equivalent of Stephen - but I don't speak any French....

7:17 PM  
Blogger azteclady said...

Huh. To me, it's pronounced the way it would be in French.Sadly, I have no idea how to represent the sound in my head into letters. :-(

7:51 PM  
Blogger itgirl said...

I thought it was the French pronunciation... like "sigh"

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]