On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Celta Thursday: Captain's Logs, Heart Thief cuts

Celta Thursday: Continuing Captain's Logs, Nuada Sword
CHAPTER 3
NUADA'S SWORD CAPTAIN'S LOG, AWAKE INTERVAL, DAY 3, 2200 HOURS
The ship's computer is right. There are problems amongst the crew. I have noticed a feeling of distrust and unease that is almost a scent -- one of moral corruption. There is a lack of cohesiveness and purpose in the crew. They have only known life on the ship and don't believe anymore in colonizing a new planet.
And life on the ship, as we had anticipated, is tough. Though the ship is large, with parks and recreation areas and the great Greensward, most of the environment is sterile and artificial.
As I fumble to understand a world strange to me, I must maintain a perfect facade of the all-knowing, all-powerful, completely capable Awakened Captain. I must function as a leader. I cannot express any doubts, risk any sort of human error. Failure is not an option.
Mutiny may be imminent.
And I must stop it.
Somehow.

CHAPTER 4
NUADA'S SWORD CAPTAIN'S LOG, AWAKE INTERVAL, WEEK 1, DAY 7, 2200 HOURS
My Miriam still sleeps. I must protect her and the rest of those in the suspension cubes at all cost. And I must save those who live now, on the ship. Will my skills, my vaunted charisma be enough? I have rarely had doubts in my life, never about going on this long trip and helping to found a new society. But that was when I was with others of my own mind, and Miriam.
The computer would wake her, if I asked. If I said that I needed her to perform well. But better that she sleeps through this dangerous time. She would hate the ship, all metal and cold. She so anticipated colonizing a new planet, and is perfectly suited to that work -- but this ship would erode her soul.
This is my sixth night without Miriam.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]