On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Romance Genre Heroes

Romance: What is a hero to you? I am judging a few contests and finding that the heroes are murderers...yes, they had hideous childhoods, were greatly wronged, are incredibly sexy. But they killed...OR, they are weak to begin with, which means a greater, more heroic character ARC. Can I accept these as heroes? What do you think?

This is also germaine because Zach in Ghost Seer needs to be more heroic, I believe. One of my crit buddies said he (crit buddy), liked that Zach needed more work, but my first reaction is "he's too weak, that won't keep me readers." So I am basing MY reactions on what I think my readers prefer. That is absolutely all right, but it IS self-limiting. Has my genre expanded and I'm not catching up?

Robin

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A lot goes to motivation, I think. Was it necessary or just an easy fix? Does he continue doing it.

I admit I once didn't buy a book because in reading the back panel I found the heroine was a government assassin and I didn't think I would enjoy it.

6:28 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Yes, this particular "hero" murdered innocents and continues to solve his problems by killing throughout the book. There are some motivational incidents/tries at redemption, but it wasn't enough. And I was/am concerned about the way the genre was going.

7:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Murderers now, terrorists next, child abusers/slavers after?

Are billionaires with good looks "sexy and attractive" no matter what they do? This seems to be the "trend".

Let's face it publishers only consider money and will publish anything as far as they can get away with it.

Very sad reflection on the genre and the readers.

Personaly I can't consider criminals as heroes, ever!

8:29 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

I am sure this was the author's choice, a very Bad Boy, edgy hero. And considering the reviews on amazon, the author carried it off. It just did not work like that for me. Yes, he was gorgeous, sexy and damaged, but so damaged he couldn't redeem himself. You do not kill innocents and remain a hero to me.

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fully agree with you. That's why you're one of my favority authors!

1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]