On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday, May 09, 2013

Nuada's Sword Captain's Logs

Nuada's Sword Captain Logs: In Heart Thief I originally tried a technique I couldn't carry off, something at the beginning of each chapter about the journey to Celta. I had to give these up for various reasons, but here are two:

CHAPTER 1
LOG: STARSHIP NUADA'S SWORD, CAPTAIN MATTHEW BOUDREAU, AWAKE INTERVAL DAY 1, HOUR 1, 0700 A.M.
I am awake. I do not know, yet, what dire events have caused the Starship, Nuada's Sword to Awaken me from suspended animation. I shiver from the aftermath of the fluid in the suspension tubes and the drugs injected into my body which have circulated through my veins for so very long. I brush crust from my eyes and lips and worry. The starships have not made landfall. There is no planet to colonize. What terrible thing has happened? My wife, my beloved Miriam, was not Awakened. She still sleeps in the life-suspension tube on this voyage to a new home. Will we ever hold each other again? I fear I am lost.

CHAPTER 2
LOG: STARSHIP NUADA'S SWORD, CAPTAIN MATTHEW BOUDREAU, AWAKE INTERVAL, DAY 3, 0900 HOURS
How I wish I had not been right! The computer stated several factors tripped the "morale alert," and the Captains of the two other colonist starships requested advice. I, having the highest "leadership under adversity" score, was chosen to be Awakened.
I was proud of that score. Once.
There are problems amongst the crew: a feeling of distrust and unease that is almost a scent -- one of moral corruption, as well as a lack of cohesiveness and purpose. Earth is seven generations in the past, only those who were Awakened know of her, an insignificant minority in the ships' crews. They have only known life on the ship and don't believe anymore in colonizing a new planet.
And life on the ship, as we had anticipated, is tough. Though the ship is large, with parks and recreation areas and the great Greensward, most of the environment is sterile and artificial.
I now find myself struggling in a world not my own. And I am still alone. My wife, Miriam, yet sleeps, pale and beautiful, in the cube next to my empty one. I have visited her for the last three days, just to see her, even though the merest touch of her is out of reach, her blue eyes are shielded by her eyelids, and her bright, genuine self is dreaming far from me. But I dare not go to her again, lest she be seen as my weakness and harmed. I must adapt to this world and fight this alone. There is no safe haven.

***

Robin

1 Comments:

Blogger Donna said...

These are wonderful.

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]