On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Monday, June 25, 2012

Backstory, Motivation, and Writing Short

Photobucket
I need to add a LITTLE to my hero's backstory, up front and in chapter 1. This is always a challenge, because going on and on and on about what made him the way he was is one way to lose readers.

Writing pithy little pointed bits, with all the right words, is much more difficult than pages of rambling, and has taken some thinking.

I've finally done it, stuck it in the document and called it done for Chapter One.

The first chapters have also reached the point where I can't tell whether any changes I make are better or just different.

Now to completely cut the scene in chapter 4 (too many people, esp. for readers who pick up this book first) and rework it.

Thanks for all the comments here, email, facebook and tweets!
Robin

2 Comments:

Blogger Donna said...

Well, if you want to post your first 3 chapters, I'm sure your fans can help you with anything think might need fixing. :)

10:59 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

LOL, thanks! I think that's against my contract with Luna...I can only post 1K words, or cut scenes or whatever...

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]