On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Writer vs. Author

At one of the first talks/discussions I had with a local writers' group, I was asked why I referred to myself as a writer instead of an author. I was flabberghasted and stammered a while, then just said that I considered myself a writer as opposed to an author.

I still do.

But it's useful sometimes to face the outside world as an "Author," a person who is published. Like for business cards.

Still, if I'm with other writers I'm always a writer, too.

I was watching Castle last night (ok, I like the actor, and though the author is only shown "writing" for approximately ten seconds every episode, and I found a couple of premises in the opener ridiculous, I've come to like the series). Castle was with the cops, they poured from the car and put on vests. He'd ordered a bullet proof vest online that looked like theirs. On the back it said "Writer."

At least the show got that right.

May you enjoy who and what you are today.
Robin

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A reader.. well, as long as you can keep producing fun to read books... I cannot see any difference between "author" and "writer" ...
On a frivolous note, the goddessesblogs has a lovely new British eye candy with the wonderful bonus that Hollywood has not tampered with him; so he has not been waxed, depilated or greased!

7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A reader... Did send you a message with his photos and the Brazilian's too. I do not think this one appeared on the Dance programme though..

5:39 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks Anon. I got your emails but never did figure out the link until you sent it. I think I was doing goddessblog and that redirects...

Robin

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]