On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Monday, April 20, 2009

Merging Scenes, Writing Etched In Stone, Self-Delusion

I have had a lot of trouble forcing myself to merge a couple of scenes. Both deal with one event (though I can use some for the next scene between these characters), and I knew how to merge them, but I just wouldn't sit down to do it.

Part of that was the thought that I'd already done it and lost the file, but when I searched my computer and actually got into the piece, that wasn't so.

Then I thought it was because I liked both scenes as they were and didn't want to change the writing to merge them.

A writer who wants to be published is not worth anything if s/he can't be edited. Critique buddies, beta readers, editors can help make the book better. If you consider your words etched in stone, write for yourself because if you can't take editorial advice, you won't go far in the business.

Now I believe I was afraid to merge because I thought I'd need to cut and I don't want to do that because I want to pretend I'm further along in the book than I am. I'm also having second guesses about this book, for whatever reason -- maybe because both the characters are fairly new to me. I worry that it will be chapter 4 before they meet, though they sense each other.

All around, self-delusion time. Sometimes that's allowed, like in other jobs, but like other creative jobs, if you go to the heart of your problem it might make you better.

Thanks for listening, and may your day go well.
Robin

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Just saying this, so you'll know someone noticed your dedication ... I wanted to say thank you for the writerly advice. Its helpful, and stuff hopeful pro-writers, or even just readers like to know. Also - those side stories are interesting too. :)

But just wanted to let you know I read your blog and appreciate your regular posting schedule (even if I don't often respond). Good luck! Can't wait for heart fate

8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For all authors... when you sell rights to make films from your books/stories be sure you keep a right of veto, at the very least.
I rented a DVD with the title of a favorite book by a favorite author.... Holliwood butchered it completely: the plot, the casting! well... pathetic is the kindest word I can think of. I could not find anything in common with the novel.
Completely dishonest to use the title of the book and the name of the author to con the readers into buying a ticket to see the movie or a rental.

9:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A reader.....When are we going to get excerpts from your next book/s in your website? Looking forward to get a few paragraphs from both books! I must confess I am not patient! itching to read some advances!! Pleaseeee

9:46 PM  
Blogger Janice Seagraves said...

Hi Robin,

Have you finished this MS yet? If you haven't maybe you should, and then come back and take another look at this scene your having trouble with. Some times a little distance or having the project completed will give you clarity.

Janice~

12:09 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Anon. I do have the movie rights to my books, but for many, the bottom line is $$ and if creative approval is a make-or-break thing in the deal, I have a feeling most of us need the $$ too much to say no. :P

Next books, when I get my act together to revise the website, excerpts will go up.

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]