On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Writers: Self Doubt, Some Coping Mechanisms

We talked about this last night on Second Life (which I totally forgot to promote here, or tell you about until I was actually there). As far as I know, ALL writers doubt themselves and their quality of their work, and, no, this doesn't go away.

Of course, we do have help in this. ;) Unpublished writers who give their pieces to friends or teachers or a poorly supportive critique group can be ripped to shreds over the slightest negative remark.

Published authors have reviewers who dislike their work and anonymous bloggers who make fun of their work, and it's hard to be highminded about that.

Recently I've been worried that I write too cute (yes, I've been reading my amazon reviews among other things). This is a problem because *I* don't think what I write is too cute, and I never consciously write "cute." I know there's a line there, and I want to be on the side that will get me the most readers, of course.

So I doubt myself, and my writing. If you don't, let me know.

Things to do about this:
1) If it's winter and gray (or gray), get yourself a full spectrum light.
2) If you're solitary, take the computer OUT and interact.
3) Exercise-Movement (I have some that are EASY, let me know if you need these, though they are on a DVD I bought that is about $20, I think).
4) Ask the support of other writers. We are there for you.
5) Affirmations/EFT (which I'm not sure I really know what it means, but I've been doing some with Brad Yates on You Tube).
6) Do Julia Cameron's The Artist's Way morning pages/freewriting.

May enjoy all your creative endeavors today.
Robin

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bah, you don't write cute...you write fantastic. Listen to your author's voice and ignore the less informed!

4:31 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks. The weather here has seriously been getting me down. But "cute" is very subjective and I know I hit some buttons there, which I can't see. ;)

Thanks again,
Robin

6:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]