On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Extroverted Writers, Signings

Of all the writers I know, only a few are extroverts, and I think I may be becoming more hermit since I lost the day job. Sometimes it's hard for me to tell who's an extrovert and who isn't. I always thought my mentor was an extrovert, and she is, like I am, when she's surrounded by our writer friends, when out in the real world, not so much.

I admire extroverted writers tremendously. I think it's easier for them to connect with readers when out, easier for them to push their work, to make people enthusiastic about their work.

For instance, I have some signings coming up (let me know if you're in the area February or March), and I didn't set one of these up. If asked, I usually say I'd be glad to sign, but not by myself. And usually I know who else has books coming out in the general time frame as I do.

Sooo...I'm thinking I should get out and circulate more (though today is Sunday brunch and that pretty much fulfills my need for social interaction for a couple of days). It's also cloudy and snowy which means I think about staying in.

I DID cancel my plans to be at Romantic Times. I've got excuses and rationalizations for that, as well as good reasons for and against. I've always thought it was too expensive, and in these times I can't manage it unless my next new ideas sell big.

So if you're an extrovert and a writer, celebrate. If you're an introvert, welcome to the club, there's plenty of us.

Meanwhile I'm on the last story day of the book and am looking forward to that the next couple of days. I may be able to finish the book as planned in Jan.

Enjoy your day and the people around you.
Robin

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robin, Where are you going to be around Denver? I live up in Broomfield and would love to meet you.

9:57 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

I'm going to be in Louisville. I'll have to check when, but there I'll be. Also Greeley and the Denver Book Mall. The Denver Book Mall is first.

Robin

8:36 PM  
Blogger Suzane in VT said...

Sorry that you had to cancel your RT plans. Was looking forward to meeting you. Ah well. Maybe someday.

12:11 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Suzane, thanks! Yes, I keep going back and forth on RT, but I have cancelled for now. If I have some sort of windfall (ha, ha)later, then I might be able to go, but I'm not expecting it.

Robin

6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]