On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Friday, October 05, 2007

Covers -- Reprints

I learned something the Friday night I signed at Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers' signing. I was handing Heart Thief to a person (2nd after HeartMate, you know), and my fingers slid smoothly over the cover.

That jolted me a little. You see, Heart Thief, Heart Duel, Heart Choice and Heart Quest are all "single element" covers, have metallic script and are EMBOSSED. At least the first printings. Now Heart Thief was the book they printed the most of, so there are more of that one out there. Yet the cover wasn't embossed, so I KNEW that the book had gone into more than one printing, even though no one had told me. COOL!

I touched Heart Duel, even though I knew it had been reprinted, again, no embossing. Don't know that I checked Heart Choice and didn't Heart Quest. It was only out last year and it takes a while for my books to reprint.

So, if you have a first printing of any of my books, you have the embossing. If you don't have the embossing, it's a reprint.

This will probably work for other books by Berkley, too.

May you enjoy new discoveries today.
Robin

1 Comments:

Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Yes, still not seeing royalties from some of them, but it's good...

Of course unless they continue to be reprinted, I get my rights back in umpty-ump years (can't recall the exact number, but it's probably 5-6).

Robin

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]