On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Friday, May 26, 2006

Quick Question -- In Jokes.

Messing around with revisions on Protector of the Flight and I keep wondering about a few paragraphs which are essentially an "in joke." Now do you all like to see this in books that are part of a series or not? Does it irritate you if you're new to the series and DON'T know the joke? Does it make you want to put down this book and go back to the other? Does it make you chuckle?

Inquiring Author Wants to know, and I may post this elswhere, too....

May your writing have clarity today
Robin (off to Ellora's Cave to get Jaci's book as a reward).

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love in jokes. I usually don't notice them until I reread, and that gives me an extra pleasure.

mel

7:09 AM  
Blogger Crystal Jordan said...

I love in-jokes...it's like a reward for having read all the other books.

9:48 AM  
Blogger moonhart said...

Ditto for me too.

FOR EXAMPLE, any time the imfamous "ugly hat" make an appearance, I laugh. I like that it is an "in joke" among the characters as well as the readers of the entire series.

So long as it doesn't go on too long to alienate a new reader, I think you're fine.

;)

moon

2:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I enjoy "in jokes" in series.

There can be so much pain and sorrow in life that humor is almost a necessity.

6:17 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

All right, I'll leave it in, just a few paragraphs that readers who have read the series will pick up on...

Thanks, all.
Robin

5:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]