On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Synopses, Animated Headbanging Icon Wanted...DESERVED!

Image hosting by PhotobucketYes, moi, the archetypical Pantzer is plotting and writing a synopsis (worked on 2 yesterday, though I don't think I have it in me finish Heart Match -- rough -- today) and I am left with several burning questions.

First, why am I writing a synopsis when banging my head against the wall would make it feel the same anyway and is easier?

Is blood really dribbling from my ears? How 'bout my eyes?

How the h** did this %$#%^$*)(_)^^%^%$ brief synopsis get to be 4 solid Times New Roman Single Spaced Pages ANYWAY?

But I think I've cleaned up most of the stuff my critique buddies criticized and if I didn't, well too d**n bad. WHERE'S THAT ICON AGAIN?

So I'll pass it onto my mentor (by hand since her 'puter crashed and burned last week), and maybe walk and whine with her and feel better.

And NO, I WILL NEVER GIVE IT TO ANYONE WHO LIKES MY BOOKS TO READ BEFOREHAND. This is Tinne Holly's story and I WILL NOT let the plot out. To nobody else. Nowhen.

Hey, it's 11 am. Maybe eating breakfast and bathing would make me feel better after all this nose to the grindstone.

May you have a wonderful synopsis, next time you need one.
Robin

9 Comments:

Blogger moonhart said...

Are you SURE you won't let us read it, Robin? REALLY sure? ROTFL!

Oh my, this one made me laugh. I mean, I know that I hate the synopsis processs, but it makes me feel sooooo much better that pubbed writers loathe the process as much as I do.

And FTR, four solid pages of synopsis IS brief to me.

;)

terri

12:20 PM  
Blogger Jennette Marie Powell said...

Hi Robin,

Love your books, love your blog!

Is this the picture you were looking for about writing that synopsis?

12:32 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Moon, I was hoping for, like, 3-5 double spaced stuff. I was sure I could do it....nope, maybe Heart Match or Heart Change...don't know much about Heart Change.

Jeannette, that's um, a whole lot bloodier than I'd anticipated. A true pic of what I'm feeling, but, uh, yeah...a wee too much. Thanks for the eye-popper, though, sorta woke me up.

Robin

12:42 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Oh, and I forgot. Writing the synopsis isn't nearly as bad for me after I get the book done. I have a Manual, but before the d**n book is done...fuggidabutit

12:43 PM  
Blogger Jennette Marie Powell said...

LOL sorry, I forget not everyone has my warped sense of humor! But that is how I feel when trying to distill a 400+ page book into a synopsis - and I'm even a plotter!

Maybe this is better

Good luck getting that synopsis written!

1:48 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Yeah, that ones good. I like the one on writerspace chats with banging a head against a computer the best, though, I think. ;) Glad I hadn't eaten lunch yet (or breakfast)...but I had sloppy joes and didn't mind a thing...

Anyway for me the best after-the-book is written manual is Pam McCutcheon's Writing the Fiction Synopsis. I can't reccommend that book highly enough...it got me through Heart Thief and Heart Duel and HeartMate....

Robin

2:13 PM  
Blogger moonhart said...

I have that book right beside Deb Dixon's GMC and Strunk and White's Elements of Style.

I really do need to get Vogler's book to complete my toolbox.

moon

7:58 PM  
Blogger Alexis Moon said...

Oh, you have all added books to my 'To Buy' list.

Robin, I wish you luck on the synopsis. I understand, truly, since I'm trying to write up two my self. Just remember, you've done it once and you've done it twice you will do it many, many more times. It's just another step you need to take but sooner or latter will pass.

*sending good vibes your way*
Amber

12:59 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks, Amber. But it really twists my brain, then I have to revise, revise, revise (mostly adding stuff) and then it gets long and the more you explain the more you have to explain...yup, whining AGAIN.

Robin

6:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]