On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday, August 28, 2005

What would you do differently? Panel -- Everything You Want to Know About Selling Commercial Fiction

If you were starting out today, what would you do differently?

I’d do a couple of things differently. First, I’d study the market more. When I first started writing, I was only interested in writing my story, market wasn’t as interesting, and what I’ve learned about the market (and I’ve learned A LOT) I learned gradually by submitting and networking.

I'd write faster and finish more work.

Also, I think I’d get an agent as soon as I could, and I’d REALLY look into the agent’s background before I signed with him/her.

Robin

3 Comments:

Blogger ssas said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:10 AM  
Blogger ssas said...

Great advice-- especially the producing part. You just have to write and write and write, don't you? Also, and this is harder, find a mentor, or writer buddies. I have a mentor who simultaneously soothes my frayed nerves and kicks my butt into gear. I think writing is lonely business and having some people on your side makes the difference between getting published or just dabbling.

10:11 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Yes, sex, I once heard that to be a good writer you need to have had written a million words. I had some mss. at partials, so it would have been better if they'd been completed...though I was slowly working on that. And, really, a couple of months before I sold I decided to cut back on my writing, I was depressed at not selling.

Robin

7:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]