On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

News!

Ok, it's been TERRIBLE working up my nerve, but I've asked (and been given permission) to work a 4 day work week. Mondays are now my own! Wow. Since I'm contract, this actually means that I'll be personally financing my "days off", but, of course, I see it as an investment in me and my writing. I may be able to cut another day back after a few months, and that will be LUCIOUS!

I was greedy and asked for Monday off because the office has free donuts on Fridays, not to mention the burrito woman...I may celebrate at Johnny Rockets (and inform my agency what I've done, since they expected me to quit a year ago July they aren't going to be too surprised).

WHEW! I am NOT good at this "negotiation" stuff. I asked and she said fine...LOL.

Robin

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a reader I do "suspend my disbelief" easier with SF/Fantasy than with historical romances, where the "feisty" heroines in real life would not have survived a day with their attitude! The writers seem to know a lot about some facts but nothing about others... I can never believe their motivations, behaviour etc.
Then SF/Fantasy shows much more imagination and creativity and affords more scape from everyday life.
Wish you luck with the reduction of hrs at your job and for the future.
Looking forward to read about Winterberry. Thanks

1:22 PM  
Blogger Shannon McKelden said...

Way to go, Robin!! When my job of almost 14 years was outsourced in February, I had the opportunity to choose my own hours. I chose to work 33 instead of 40, but arranged it so I work three hours in the early mornings three days a week, so I have all afternoon to write those days.

Next goal...to have two more books contracted so I can cut back 5 more hours a week and have 4 days to write! Good luck with your writing time!
Shannon

2:26 PM  
Blogger TJ Brown said...

I was a stay at home mom when I started writing full time, so I am just scrambling to make money all the time. Now I have to cut back on my nonfiction time to make time for my fiction!

Haven't read your books. WIll do so now:)

You don't happen to live in the Northwest do you?
teri

3:31 PM  
Blogger ssas said...

Good for you! I personally will have three mornings a week free starting Monday. Now, I'll make a pact with you: I won't schedule shopping, drs appointments, haircuts, phone calls, and lunches with friends on writing time!

11:32 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks all, and sounds excellent sex. Gonna be interesting at least.

Robin

7:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]