On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, August 20, 2005

Creativity

All right, I'm a writing snob. I have many beliefs about writing, and one that I feel most strongly is that if you plan to be a serious writer, you aren't ALSO a serious painter/pianist/composer/actor/photographer, too. You may think this is wrong-headed, but I truly think that a person should have only one creative passion if they are to succeed. For me, that's writing, and when I hear that someone else is writing and ALSO pursuing some other artistic career, I don't expect them to succeed as a writer.

It's probably the Scorpio in me.

I will allow that other minor creative outlets are GOOD. I was once a part of an improv group, and I will always be grateful for what that experience taught me. I don't miss it at all -- well, I miss it a little, and if I could go on stage like I was at the top of my form, I'd do it, but I am beyond rusty and would only embarrass myself.

So what do I do? Well, my real "fun" creative outlet is messing with graphics. For instance, I've done mock-ups of many of my Heart covers (pretty pitiful), and this month I have a photo in my Worlds page of Cliveden from the front. Well, it had a bunch of cars parked there as well as other stuff, so I "tidied" it up.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I also play with Pro-Fantasy and make worlds, and suites and hope to eventually do the Marshalls' castle. You can see some of these here:

http://robindowens.com/worlds/amee.htm The World of Amee

http://robindowens.com/worlds/worlds_guardian.htm Alexa's Suite.

In HeartMate, I mentioned some "tarot" cards. These don't exist. Yet. But I've been messing around with cutting and pasting various photos (I try to make sure they aren't copyrighted, or if they are they are changed beyond recognition). Right now, they aren't good enough to even post raw, but when I have the time...

And I update my website, especially surfing for cool links that might be fun for my Free Your Artist page.

That's about it, though I think I may go to a tie die party tonight. Oh, and I like to do haiku, as long as it isn't Improv Haiku Smackdown, where my brain would freeze...

Love to all,
Robin

6 Comments:

Blogger Michele said...

Wow, it's so clean and crisp, you can't tell you took anything out of the picture...I'm impressed.

Oh, referring to the comment I posted previously.
Blogger has a way to help stop Comment Spam. (that's what its called) I've now employed it on my blog. It's in your Settings under Comments. All you have to do is change your "no" to a "yes". The how-to is listed in the Blogger Knowledge area.
I don't like being open to unwanted comments from advertisers.
I'm sure you don't either.
Hope you find the info useful.
Checked out the new info of yours. Thumbs up!

8:20 AM  
Blogger ssas said...

I don't know how I feel about this. I myself have practiced several art forms but only one at a time. I don't know if it's time limitation or creativity limitation.

Your pic looks good!

8:30 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Yeah, well messing with the picture cost me a major disaster since I was focused (as I am when I'm writing) and FORGOT SOMETHING. Now I am most unhappy and have downloaded a free timer so I won't do the same again. It was so painfully stupid on my part I'm still very angry with myself and REALLY embarrassed to say what happened.

So I'm accepting hugs and pats and "there, there, you didn't mean to do it and everyone is stupid sometimes" words.

Love, robin

6:43 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Sex, there ARE some things I'm prejudiced on and impatient with, and this is just one of them, so I'll just let you know. So mark it down as a prejudice. Naturally, as with all prejudiced people, I think I'm right, etc...and hardly listen otherwise...ok, if someone is a GENIUS, then I think they can do it. But truly, it's so HARD to break into anything artistically, that I think it takes all the determination and focus a person has --

that is, if they want to make a living with their ART, if they want to be very good.

I think people can be good at a lot of creative things and incorporate a lot of different types of creativity into their lives if they think of them as creative outlets or hobbies. That's fine. I'm speaking mostly about people who want to earn their bread writing....so there's a qualifier for you.

Robin

6:49 PM  
Blogger ssas said...

Ah, gotcha. Breaking into any business is difficult and takes focus. Unfortunately, there are only so many hours in the day.

9:39 AM  
Blogger ssas said...

Oh, and forgetfulness is definitely a hazard of writing! You're not stupid, just busy!

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]