On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Fantasy Romance -- Writing II

A while back I was asked why writers enjoyed writing Fantasy Romance, so this is what I replied. I have a few articles under my belt and will probably include them here, and something I hope will be special a week from Friday. Hope you enjoy.

It’s easy to know why writers love SF Romance/fantasy romance – it’s so freeing! You can create whole universes and societies. Figuring out why readers like it is a little harder – unless I talk about myself...As with every genre of romance, there are specific reasons why readers find SF Romance to be their favorite.. First it can be challenging to the intellect, “this is interesting, unusual, new, I wonder what CAN happen in this new universe. I wonder if I can figure out what the author is going to do before she does it – based on her own rules!” These are also richly imaginative books,

Then, there is the element of the Complete Escape. Though the human and emotional problems may remain the same and the conflicts between men and women, individuals and culture, you are less likely to have a heroine (or hero) who is coping with the same plumbing problems that you are fighting with. Then there’s the scope, most SFRomances have a large canvas that the characters move on.

Most of all, I think it’s because romances are essentially stories of hope and SFRomance is the ultimate hope – our society, our culture, our values will survive and prosper in the future, and we, as a race, will live happily ever after.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robin, I have to agree with you. I think it's great to have similarities in the writing, but be able to free yourself into another world. I’m new to Celtic Hearts and saw your postings so I had to come and see. I will have to read all your books. I love reading and your books really caught my attention. J I’m a writer myself, but have written 2 novels, and three others, which are currently on the back burner. I still have much to learn.

Denise
moonstarrs_2000@yahoo.com

9:55 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Denise, WELCOME! How could I NOT belong to the Celtic Hearts chapter? You can read excerpts of my work on READs page, Heart Choice should still be available.

Keep writing!

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]