On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, August 13, 2005

Marketing and New Ideas

Yes, folks, ideas CAN come from publishers. When I visited the one and only seminar I attended at RWA -- about Luna -- I heard that the urban fantasies were doing well. This didn't surprise me as I always thought that would be one of the hottest sellers of the imprint.

But I really started thinking about it.

And WHY? I still have 3 more Luna books to contract for in the Summoning series -- and ideas are there, but pages are NOT written. Then there's the hellish contemporary paranormal which still has a miserable synopsis.

But....

I've read urban fantasy for a long time -- De Lint's Jack books, and Tom Deitz's books...but, like vampires, I never thought I'd be able to wrap my mind around a concept that would work.

But...

I have 2 ideas, and 1 I could really get excited about if I was free to write full time. So, I'm going to write them down, and revisit them.

Moral of this story -- you can get ideas from ANYWHERE, and make sure you think outside YOUR OWN BOX, don't impose limitations on yourself. Who knows someday I might be able to figure out a vamp story...

Robin

2 Comments:

Blogger Jaci Burton said...

so true, Robin. I think as writers we too often use "I am..." to describe ourselves as writers, and end up limiting ourselves in our own minds. When we throw that out and think unlimited thoughts about our own writing abilities, we can expand our writing universe.

And good luck....I think you can do vampires too *g*

Jaci

11:39 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Excellent comment, Jaci, I'll have to bookmark it! And I think it will be a while before I sink my teeth into a vampire story...I like to read them but doing something different with them has not occurred to me.

Robin

8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]