On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday, July 10, 2005

You have a writing addiction if...(You are a writer if...)

Yes, it's late from when I usually post. I was at a party last night, though I don't know that I can say that's a good excuse. I have no excuse...except that my bedroom window faces due east and the sun usually wakes me up. So that means I've been getting up a little later every day...Hey, it's after the solstice, folks, the days are getting shorter. I'll be having a hard time as we reach fall and will barely be able to drag my a** out of bed before 7 in the winter. (One of the reasons I'd like to scale down/quit the day job)

I did some good work on Knight Protector yesterday, the third in the Luna series, the proposal for which is due, like, immediately. Fortunately I only need to write chapters, not a synopsis (which, for a 3 book deal, I already wrote when I submitted it originally). And since these stories have been in my head for a long time, I know where it's going -- though the hero, Marrec, is showing unexpected depth and character traits which is what is so fun about writing!

I was also posting on a motivational seminar every day last week, called Ask An Author, so I had a busy time of it. This Saturday I have a Reading and Speaking at DASFA (Denver Area Science Fiction Association). I think I'll do Guardian of Honor again (gotta find my special reading copy, more later).

ANYWAY, writers have trouble with motivaton all the time, so I've developed some crutches-- uh -- techniques to help, and that was what I was talking about last week.

But my bottom line questions are these:

Does writing make you feel better?
If you were offered $10 million to never write again (including journalling, because I sometimes work out a story when journalling), could you take the money and not break your word?
If you knew you would never be published (again), would you continue to write?

I answer YES, NO, YES, if you do, too, then welcome to the world of writing, and may all your writing dreams come true.

Robin

3 Comments:

Blogger ssas said...

I definitely fit into that category. I get very crabby if I don't write... it's sort of like a bad itch in the middle of my back that I can't reach. Don't you love it when people say they can't imagine writing books? I always say I can't imagine NOT writing books!

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wahoo, I'm a real writer. :)

5:26 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

;) Sex, and OF COURSE YOU ARE DANICA...we KNOW that.

Robin

8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]