On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, April 04, 2009

Eyes

Well, I requested information from my friends' network about an ophthalmologist (and thank Heavens for friends who live in the neighborhood who have local people) and called an eye doctor. The office said to come in now, so I did. After many and varied tests, I found out that some of the gel-ish portion of my eyeball liquified and separated from the back of the eye, some of this is normal as we age, but the Dr. called it a "whole sheet," so apparently it was easy for her to see. Nothing to be done to fix. Eventually the floaters/spiderwebs of this gel will subside to the bottom of my eye where I can't see it.

My eyes stayed dilated for about 7 hours (they lie, lie, lie when they say it goes away in an hour). Since I was dealing with business stuff before the call, there was no writing yesterday. After the appt. there was no email, tv, reading, computer. I talked on the phone to Mom and friends. After that, I listened to an audio book. Soup for dinner. One of the things my roomie (interior designer) did when she was here was to put most of my lights on dimmer switches so I had the option of very low light and that was good.

Floaters are a concern, but the real thing to be worried about are FLASHES. So if you have FLASHES then floaters it's a good indication that the retina's attachments are failing. That is considered an EMERGENCY MEDICAL CONDITION, so treat it like one.

The floaters right now are a black string-thread like stuff at the top of my vision.

May you enjoy all your senses today. Be thankful for them. I am.
Robin

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear your eyes are troubling you! Sending best wishes for quick and permanent relief.
Typing in the old days you didn't have to look at the keyboard - if you learn this way you'd still be able to type and not strain your eyes.
Other good thing of the old keyboards is that you never got pain on your wrist, since you learned to type from the "elbow".
All the best to you!!

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish you great healing. Anything impacting my eyes scare me so much. Get well.

Regards, Ruth

1:52 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Yes, I can touch type, that's not too much of a problem, but I do look at the screen when I write...and I am now having flashes too as the rest of the gel layer sheers off. I did speak to the Dr. and she said this was expected and since she examined me yesterday and everything was all right as long as the problems don't continue, I should be fine.

Thanks again,
Robin

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]